Tuesday, March 27, 2012

What's that smell???

Dear readers,

Do you have a pair of shoes that are just atrocious to take off because of the deadly vapors that are permeating a whole room? Either you have a teenager that his sweat glands are out of whack, a husband's construction boots that are deadly or even your favorite pair of sandals that can emit a smell that is comparable to a very pungent cheese.

What is that smell? Well to keep it simple, it's these little bacteria that have gas. A lot of them! I've had this problem a few years back and it was beyond bad foot odor, I think I could of put a small animal under 3 pounds out cold with the smell of them. Seriously! 

How I solved my stinky feet problem was pretty easy but as soon as I wore those pesky shoes, it came back in a vengeful force. You see the problem wasn't just my feet but those shoes in particular. So you really have to solve the source of where this problem is starting to really get rid of the smell. 

One of my favorite breathable sneakers
The first step is to take your shoes, slip them into a plastic resealable bag and put them in the freezer for a good 24 to 48 hours. By doing this, you are cutting off the bacteria from an thriving environment, warmth. If you have more than one pair of shoes causing you this problem, you will want to put them all in the freezer.

The second thing to do is a very cost effective solution too. White vinegar and lukewarm water in a 50-50 mixture. Meaning a cup of vinegar for a cup of water. Soaking your feet for 10 minutes for 10 consecutive days and making sure that the mixture is covering the whole soles of your feet. You really have to follow through with this treatment for it to be fully effective.

I have to say that wearing shoes made with synthetic materials are more prone to do this and wearing a shoe that is made with natural materials that are breathable is a better option. There is also more than one solution to this problem of smelly feet but I think this is one of the best and simplest ways to solve it. I hope this will help anyone that is having this problem without throwing out your favorite footwear.

Yours truly,
Nadine

3 comments:

  1. What about leather shoes ? I have a super duper good pair of ''Earth Spirit'' shoes but they started to smell... What can I do? :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Katy,

      I strongly recommend putting your super duper good pair of "Earth Spirit" in a Ziploc or resealable bag and put them in the freezer for 48 hours. The fact is the bacteria needs warmth, humidity and darkness to keep living. I hope this will solve your problem and keep your favorite shoes.

      Sincerely,
      Nadine

      Delete
  2. It was really insightful.
    Thanks for the info.
    Wanna have more contents from you.
    Cheers
    BTW if anyone interested more have a look Read More thanks

    ReplyDelete

All questions and comments are welcomed.